Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Featured Artist Cindy Holsclaw

Featured Artist

Cindy Holsclaw – Bead Origami, San Franscisco CA

Cindy’s intricate work often makes me wonder how people can create such unique pieces out of such tiny beads! Her seed beaded beads just blow my mind! I can’t even imagine the hours that go into these, and I’d need a magnifying glass just to find the seed beads! My favorite piece of her is the Sea Green Beaded Earrings.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/48071823/handcrafted-sea-green-beaded-earrings

I’m a huge fan or sea green or turquoise green and these astonish me that they are one, so small. Two, a perfect match! Read her interview below to find out a bit more about this weeks featured artist.

How long have you been working in your medium?

I’ve dabbled in beading since I was a child, but I became seriously involved in beadweaving about four years ago. Since then it has been and continues to be my primary craft.

What drew you to this medium?

Now that I look back on it, I was doing a lot of cross stitch at the time and I had the idea of translating cross stitch patterns into beadwork, using either a loom or off-loom techniques. After a little bit of research into the beadweaving world, it wasn’t long until I discovered that the geometric origami forms that I so loved could also be made with beads. I was immediately hooked.

What is your favorite thing about your art?

I like how so many different kinds of beads can be woven into geometric objects. I generally work with even, regularly-shaped beads including all shapes and sizes of Japanese seed beads, Czech glass, and Swarovski crystals, but I like trying to incorporate stones and freshwater pearls into my pieces as well. I’d say that my pieces are as much engineering projects as they are art projects, because so many technical factors go into creating a stable, sturdy, yet pleasing geometric object. It’s like piecing together a puzzle, and when it works it’s very satisfying.

What's your favorite piece?

That’s a tough one, because it constantly changing. Certainly my most ambitious project to date was the necklace I created for my wedding a few months ago. I used crystals and tons of freshwater pearls to create a layered necklace with seven beaded bead charms, plus matching earrings. I usually don’t get the chance to wear very fancy jewelry, so I took the opportunity to go all out.

No comments: