Monday, May 31, 2010

Seed beads!

Let each man exercise the art he knows. Aristophanes.

Todays featured artist definitely exercises what she knows. Seed bead pieces always awe me, all those teeny tiny beads worked into something gorgeous, and Stephanie's work is no exception.

How long have you been working in your medium?

I have been working seed beads steady for about a dozen years, but off and on for much longer. Glass, just a few short years, intermittently, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

What drew you to this medium?

I honestly don't know what drew me to beads, seed beads specifically, but I can't get enough of them.

When it comes to glass, I happened upon a demonstration at my local stained glass shop, and it was all over from there. I am one of those that thought, "oh, I could learn to do that and use the beads in my work"! Wow, it's been a journey to get to that point and I have LOTS to learn but I'm having fun along the way.

What is your favorite thing about your art?

My favorite thing about seed beads is that you can do literally anything with them. You can string, sculpt, & weave them into whatever your heart desires. I love freeform peyote best of all.

What's your favorite piece?

This freeform peyote necklace I did as a commission. It turned out beautiful and the client and recipient were elated with it...



What's the hardest piece you've ever made?

Probably the Escape Necklace since it was a commission. While weaving it, I was hoping that what I was making would A). Turn out, and B). Be what the buyer wanted.

Who or what inspires you?

I am greatly inspired by nature in my beadwork. Freeform work specifically. I am also inspired by the glassy peeps on LE for their vast knowledge and willingness to share with us newbies to the art.

What's your favorite inspirational saying?

This saying is posted at the former burial site of Lake Superior Chippewa. Over one hundred years ago, the tribe was evicted from the land and even the burial grounds were dug out, and put in a mass grave in town. The tribe members and others visit the site often and leave offerings from tobacco to, well, anything. I leave beads. The sign posted at the site : "As I travel I hope I leave beautiful footsteps behind me..."

What's one thing you've never done you always wanted to do?

Oh my, the list is long. Visit Australia is one!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for blogging about me Nichole! Stephanie