Thursday, August 20, 2009

Featured Artist


I am going to try and get back to featuring one artist a month (maybe more, maybe less!) on my blog.

This month I am featuring Julie Sigmund. I love her wire work, it's so precise and creative. She's also a member of the SATEAM and I think just a fantastic person. Here's a little insight into Julie and a photo of one of her favorite pieces.

How long have you been working in your medium?


I made my first wirewrapped piece 3 years ago. I had a handful of lampwork beads that I had made that I was so proud of. I made a simple necklace with sterling silver wire and the lampwork beads and my passion for wire wrapping grew from then on.


What is your favorite thing about your art?

I would have to say its the wonderful feeling I get after I've created something beautiful out of simple wire with my own two hands.

What's your favorite piece?

My favorite piece is my Dragonfly Pendant. I love dragonflies!

What's the hardest piece you've ever made?


The Dragonfly Pendant was the hardest piece I've ever made. I actually worked on this idea for several months. I gave up on it numerous times and would toss it aside until a new idea hit me. Attaching the wings to the body was my biggest problem I had, and the idea came to me one night just as I was falling asleep. I jumped up out of bed and sketched my idea down on a piece of paper so I would'nt forgot it the next morning. LOL!


Who or what inspires you?


I've been inspired by so many wonderful artist, Sandy Cowan, Iza Malczyk, and Sharilyn Miller to name a few. I also find inspiration in my natural suroundings, a walk in the woods, camping trips, and even when I'm working in my yard.


What's your favorite inspirational saying?


My favorite inspirational saying is:

If you can Dream it, you can do it.

Walt Disney.


What's one thing you've never done you always wanted to do?


I would love to travel the world.



2 comments:

Eileen said...

beautiful work julie...great interview nicole...i just hearted this amazing shop...thanks for sharing such a talented artist...

Leilani said...

Thanks for allowing me to get to know Jewlie better! :)