Wednesday, July 30, 2008

August LEST Artist of the Month




My Featured LEST artist for the month of August is Inferno Glass Beads. Here's a little bit of an interview with Rachel.



How long have you been working with glass?
I have been working with glass for about 5 years. However, it is a part-time pleasure for me right now, so I still consider myself rather "young" to the art.



What is your favorite thing about working with glass?
I love how certain glasses react in ways you can't always control. It's the biggest excitement and the biggest frustration for me that you never quite know what you will get out of the kiln the next morning.



What's your favorite piece? (maybe a link to the piece if it's in your etsy)
My favorites change as I make more beads! I think my current favorite is a bracelet I made from some tiger-style beads I made a while ago. One day they just asked me to make them into a bracelet, and it turned out beautiful!



What's the hardest piece you've ever made? (Again a link if it's in your etsy)
I don't know that I have a single piece...I've definitely had a lot of failures, and had beads come out of the kiln that looked nothing like what I had envisioned. But I've also made my best "discoveries" this way. The only time I feel that glass is hard to work with is when I get a creative block and nothing appeals to my muse!



Who do you admire in the glass world?
I love Theresa Laliberte's sculptural beads, and Patty Lakinsmith's focals. I also love how Andrea Guarino can make soft glass look like stone and boro.



What's your favorite inspirational saying?
When I feel like life is getting a little harried, I chant to myself, "This too shall pass." It reminds me that time never stands still!



What's one thing you've never done you always wanted to do?
Travel to Italy! In my glass life, I would like to take a class on working with metals and enamels to help move my skills ahead.




No comments: